Thursday, May 21, 2009

Judgement and Discrimination

Okay, I firmly believe in the importance of judgement, that often it is more valuable to be the person saying "no" when others are saying yes. Judgement is undervalued; but discrimination in any form is sickening and morally reprehensible.

This in response to a study conducted by U.B.C. prof Philip Oreopoulos, which found that, in a phony mail survey of resumes sent out to online job postings in the Toronto area, mock applicants were 40 percent more likely to get a call back than those with Chinese, Indian or Pakistani names.

40 percent.

This is the 21st century, is it not? I am shocked, but not surprised by these numbers.

I recently posted an article regarding Ivan Krstić's move to Apple. While I was looking at other articles about the move, I came across the phrase He's also looking for a vowel for his last name. I am sure this is intended as a jest, but, still... Judge people by what they do, by what they say, but not by the way they spell their name.

No comments: