Monday, July 21, 2014

Back to Basics: Rhizome

I started the Rhizome reference implementation a year ago as a way of demonstrating how a combination of client-side services, constructed using Angular and Cordova, and server-side adaptation and integration, constructed using Worklight, could be used to build a mobile health app for the enterprise. The pieces are there, and I have come to their conclusion that the server-side integration, while important, should really just be built into the application server, which hosts the server-side API. If the server-side API is built to an industry standard like NIEM or HL7, then the burden of integration is lightened, and maybe it could take place within a resource-based suite of client-side services.

The greatest illumination for me came when I stopped trying to build the server back end and with a client app extending it, and instead focused on a client app with an HL7 FHIR standardized interface. Do I have to do a lot of adaptation on the server? Depends on the data source, but... In an ideal world, thee data source has low impedance, and it is already FHIR JSON. In that case, an Angular app built around the core FHIR resources just works.

So I'm taking my references implementation in a slightly different direction, less coupled to an enterprise mobility platform, more reliant on a strong client-side architecture which is resource-based and standardized for the health industry, leveraging profiles from organizations like IHE and HL7 where possible, and probably with a more specific focus on care plans and questionnaires, without losing focus of prescription medications.

I'm also going to try posting more frequently, for a variety of reasons, so please feel free to comment. I have really enjoyed working with AngularJS over the last year, and I know I'm not alone in this.

No comments: