Friday, October 08, 2021

Heliocentric (2000)

There is no drinking. After you're dead.

Abso-bloody-brilliant.

I had not previously listened to Heliocentric, and I have just loved every minute of it. It's frenetic and biting, and politely angry in a way that I had missed since Paul Weller's early days with the Jam. Songs like "Picking Up Sticks" come off like a cross between "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and some besotted Tom Waits boogaloo. I've listened to a lot of Paul Weller recordings up to this point, and I don't think I've enjoyed one this much since Setting Sons. The sound here is very raw in places, and in other places it's just plain weird. The drums are simply astonishingly good, and the whole band is shining. In many places, this reminds me of Curtis Mayfield's band, or even a band like Stereolab. This may not be Wild Wood, but it is impressively dense.

Naturally, this is one of his albums which is often panned.

No comments: