Monday, September 13, 2021

Confessions of a Pop Group (1988)

Wow, I'm surprised how much I used to love songs like "It's A Very Deep Sea", which has beautiful lyrics, but listening to it now, Mick's piano comes off as the strongest element. Paul's voice sounds weak compared to, say Elvis Costello in "Shipbuilding", a song "It's A Very Deep Sea" resembles... a lot.

Not sure what to make of this. When I listened to this album years ago, I had not really been exposed to Elvis Costello. The songs on Confessions just sound kind of weak, but I think this albums just passes by a tipping point where the soul ballads outnumber the peppier pop songs. Perhaps the transition here is a good thing, too. The lyrics come through so strongly on this album. I just wish Paul sounded angrier. The lyrics are often quite bitter, but the overall tone is upbeat. I feel like this album is as ambitious as Setting Sons, but misses the mark for me.

Oh but, and I think this relevent, saxophonist Dick Morrissey, who also played on Peter Gabriel 3 and the Bladerunner soundtrack, plays flute on "How She Threw It All Away", my new favourite old song.

Perhaps he was just happy at the time. Can't really hold that against him. I mean, Dee C Lee sounds great.
Side Two picks things up a bit.

No comments: