Friday, October 22, 2021

As Is Now (2005)

There's a really good mini-movie about this period and album with interviews with Paul and the two Steve's. Paul had hit a bit of a writing block, so he recorded an album of covers, Studio 150, and then came back with this fantastic album. "From The Floorboards Up" is the perfect single he hadn't really produced since "Changingman", and not for lack of trying. I love Paul's introspective songs, but an album needs a single.

I believe this is the last album to primarily feature Steve White on drums, and although this is a solo album, featuring Paul on the cover, it feels like a cohesive band playing, from beginning to end. This really feels like a Style Council album, if you ask me; it doesn't break new ground, per se, but it finishes what he started with "Long Hot Summer" with "Roll Along Summer". Lots of good songs here, and I have added "Savages", "Floorboards Up" and "Come On/Let's Go" to my playlist.

No comments: