Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Illumination (2002)

There is an instrumental at the end of the first side of Illumination called "Spring (At Last)", which is everything I want from Paul Weller, honestly, and after that, the second side really got to me. His voice, at it's best, is inspirational. I guess I gave this little thought until hearing it with no words, just a kind of chant, in "Spring (At Last)". This is by no means a gospel album, but like a lot of Wild Wood, there is a sentiment here that we should find ways to get out of our secluded anonymous city lives and find a new place and a new day where we can share our hopes and dreams, and it's quite beautiful.

So dance little dancer
Like you've never danced before
It's just a moment
We're going through
This is the new dance that we do
So sing little brother
And turn on everyone
Lift our spirits high
To a place we need to find

Overall, I feel like this album deserves a few more listens. "Push Button, Automatic" could just be the best song the Kinks never recorded. I love it. Speaking of brothers, I didn't realize that Steve White, Weller's drummer for all of these albums, is the older brother of Alan White, who was playing drums in Oasis, which probably explains why Noel Gallagher keeps showing up on Paul's solo albums.

No comments: